CCHL2 Power Rankings Week 17 | By: Mason Detre
- Ottawa Canadians (30-2-1) | Last week: 1 | Results: 2-0W vs CHR, 4-2W at WIN | During the first half of the season, the Canadians kept winning games by double digits. This is now the second half and they are finding ways to win close hockey games. Thomas Freel keeps adding his totals this season after scoring three goals in two games last week.
- Casselman Vikings (24-6-1) | Last week: 2 | Results: 6-2W vs ARN, 4-2W at EMB | The Vikings have now won four consecutive games. Their last loss came against Winchester on Dec 13th. The goaltending was fantastic allowing up to two goals per game this week. Hunt and Rousselle each picked up two goals in their two games.
3. Brockville Tikis (18-9-5) | Last week: 4 | Results: 6-5SOW vs WIN, 5-1W at OW | The Tikis have been rolling and have won their last five games. This team is legit and sit at the top of the Richardson Division. Three 5-on-3 goals on Thursday night proved to be the difference against Ottawa West.
4. Ottawa West Golden Knights (20-9-3) | Last week: 3 | Results: 5-1L vs BRO | The Golden Knights will have to face some consequences starting this week with a couple suspensions handed out from Thursday’s game against Brockville. It was the first time that Ottawa West lost to Brockville since CCHL Tier 2 existed. They’ll have to rely on Mitchell Bown throughout this month.
5. Perth Blue Wings (18-10-3) | Last week: 4 | Results: 5-3L at WPR, 7-4W at RCH | The Blue Wings suffered a tough loss at the hands of Westport but were able to comeback down 4-1 to score six unanswered goals against Richmond. Sharpley collects his first hat-trick and Symington ends the week with 3G / 1A.
6. Carleton Place Jr. Canadians (18-12-2) | Last week: 6 | Results: 3-2W vs WHT, 5-4SOL vs REN | It was a tough week for Carleton Place, but at the end of the day, they were able to tally three points with one win against Whitewater and a point by coming back against Renfrew. Brody Bernard started those two games and allowed six goals this week.
7. Westport Rideaus (16-11-3) | Last week: 7 | Results: 5-3W vs PER | It was their only game this week and they got back on the right track. Congratulations to Head Coach Jeff Snow on picking up his 300th win of CCHL2/EOJHL coaching career. Blake Kettyle and Patterson each added two goals in that game.
8. Alexandria Glens (17-13-3) | Last week: 8 | Results: 9-5W vs CHR | This was the Glens only game this week and are trailing Ottawa West by five points for third in the Martin Division. Dylan Stacey is a candidate for star of the week after tallying two goals and three assists against Char-Lan.
9. Arnprior Packers (16-14-3) | Last week: 10 | Results: 1-0W vs REN, 6-4W vs WHT | The Packers were able to come up with close victories this week. Leading the way was Adam Church who scored three goals and two game winners. He is also a candidate for this week’s stars. Cameron Scott was amazing in net collecting a shutout and stopping 54 shots in the win on Sunday.
10. Renfrew Timberwolves (14-16-2) | Last week: 11 | Results: 1-0L at ARN, 5-4SOW at CPB | The Timberwolves suffered a tough loss against Arnprior but found a way to bounce back against Carleton Place which they blew a lead in the third. Richardson keeps it rolling with one goal in a three-point week and Marinic scoring twice.
11. Char-Lan Rebels (14-16-3) | Last week: 9 | Results: 2-0L at OJC, 9-5L at ALX, 5-2L vs WIN | This team was off to a great start but now they’ve fallen behind and are now in a race for the final playoff spot in the Martin Division. After a tough 2-0 loss to OJC, they just couldn’t find a way to bounce back against Alexandria and couldn’t find a way to win against Winchester while up 2-0 early in that game.
12. Athens Aeros (11-15-5) | Last week: 12 | Results: 3-0L vs WHT | The Aeros had a .500 record heading into the new year coming off back-to-back wins against Arnprior. Right now, they haven’t found any edge to winning hockey games. They’ve now lost four consecutive games and three of them came against Whitewater. They’ll look to bounce back with two games this week.
13. Winchester Hawks (11-18-4) | Last week: 15 | Results: 4-2L vs OJC, 5-2W at CHR | This week, they competed very hard against OJC and completed a comeback down 2-0 early in the second period. Kyle Kuehni had three goals in two games and DeRepentigny with two goals plus the game winner in Char-Lan.
14. Whitewater Kings (9-15-6) | Last week: 14 | Results: 3-0W at ATH, 6-4L at ARN | The week started great with Oxborough picking up his first shutout this season. They had a great offensive performance against Arnprior but ended up on the losing side. They’re the only team that hasn’t hit double-digit wins. Vanhoof leads his team with two goals and two assists. He is also riding a four-game point streak with 3G / 6A.
15. Embrun Panthers (11-18-5) | Last week: 13 | Results: 4-2L vs CAS | The positive side is they outshot Casselman 34-30, but it wasn’t enough to find victory on the ice. They’re also in a battle for the final playoff spot and are trailing five points behind the Rebels. Brosseau had 31 goals last year and this year he can’t find the back of the net. He netted a goal against Casselman giving him nine goals this year.
16. Richmond Royals (9-23-1) | Last Week: 16 | Results: 7-4L vs PER | The Royals had the opportunity to put the Blue Wings to bed but couldn’t find a way to score in the final two periods. Vaslet added three assists in that game plus carried a lead into the third period. They allowed four power play goals that cost them of winning.