CCHL2 Power Rankings Week 20 | By: Mason Detre
- Ottawa Canadians (34-3-1) | Last week: 1 | Results: 5-3W vs CAS, 4-2L at WPR | The Canadians ten game winning streak came to an end at the hands of Westport. With their loss, they’ll need to win their remaining six games to tie the Vikings for most wins in a season with 40. The positive side was that they recorded a come from behind to win over Casselman.
- Ottawa West Golden Knights (24-11-2) | Last week: 4 | Results: 4-3SOW vs CPB, 4-3W at CHR | The Golden Knights are on a four game winning streak after getting their first shootout win against Carleton Place and a one-goal contest against Char-Lan. Justin Jamer leads the way with two goals and two assists this week. A win and a Glens loss this week will clinch third place in the Martin Division.
3. Brockville Tikis (21-11-5) | Last week: 2 | Results: 2-1W vs CPB, 4-2L at REN | The Tikis only collected four goals but were able to pick up a win against Carleton Place and loss a tough one against Renfrew while playing short. Caza, FIne-Lease, Shipclark and McArthur each had one goal for Brockville.
4. Casselman Vikings (27-7-3) | Last week: 5 | Results: 5-3L at OJC, 7-6SOW vs ALX, 4-3OTL at WHT | The Vikings couldn’t hang on to a lead against the Canadians. But they came from behind twice, being down 6-2 against Alexandria and 3-1 against Whitewater. This team can comeback from hockey games. It doesn’t matter is their down by four, three or possibly being down five goals. Jason Cossette (2 G / 3 A) and Joel Hunt (3 G / 2 A) each collect five points leading their team to 1-1-1.
5. Westport Rideaus (20-12-4) | Last week: 7 | Results: 4-2W vs OJC, 7-2W vs RCH | The Rideaus picked up two huge wins this week as they are trying to finish top three in the Richardson Division. Blake Kettyle collected two goals against Ottawa and Richmond. He finishes the week with four goals. Westport has won two consecutive games.
6. Perth Blue Wings (21-11-4) | Last week: 3 | Results: 6-5OTW at ARN, 2-1L at ATH | The Blue Wings couldn’t hang on to a lead against Arnprior but were able to win. Saturday night saw a close contest against Athens but they couldn’t score on a 5-on-3 power play to potentially tie the game. There were lots of depth scoring as Sharpley was the only player to score twice this week.
7. Carleton Place Jr. Canadians (20-14-3) | Last week: 6 | Results: 2-1L at BRO, 4-3SOL at OW, 4-1W vs ARN | They played very well against Brockville in a tight loss and were dominated by the Golden Knights in the third and OT frame. The Canadians won their final game against Arnprior on Saturday night. Kyle Lightfoot was a point per-game this week with 1 G / 2 A and extended his point streak to 13 games.
8. Renfrew Timberwolves (18-17-2) | Last week: 8 | Results: 4-2W vs BRO | The Timberwolves continue to win big games when needed. They now sit 5th in the Richardson Division with a one point lead ahead of Arnprior for the final playoff spot. Andrew McIntyre and Artyom Shiman each had 1 G / 1 A in a multi-point week.
9. Alexandria Glens (19-16-4) | Last week: 9 | Results: 7-6SOL at CAS, 3-2L at RCH | The struggles continue this week with two more losses. They’ve now lost four consecutive games. The one thing the Glens need to learn is that every time they face Casselman, the Vikings are not out of the hockey game. The Glens blew a four goal lead against Casselman and then allowed the final goal with 20 seconds left against Richmond. Tobias Commanda-Odjick leads the way with 2 G / 2 A.
10. Whitewater Kings (12-17-6) | Last week: 11 | Results: 4-3OTW vs CAS | The Kings continue to win against top teams. One of them this week was against Casselman. Although they did blow their lead in the third period, Jared Campitelli (2 G / 1 A) ended his three-point night with the OT Winner. Whitewater has won three consecutive games. Those opponents were against Westport, Carleton Place and now Casselman.
11. Char-Lan Rebels (16-17-4) | Last week: 10 | Results: 4-3L vs OW | Brennan Markell had 1 G / 2 A in their loss against Ottawa West. They’re 2-1-1 in their last four games and still hanging on to the 5th and final playoff spot. Right behind them is Winchester. The positive thing is they made this game close. Hunt and Ferland also collect 1 G / 1 A. This week they have three games against Westport, Winchester and Casselman.
12. Winchester Hawks (14-20-4) | Last week: 12 | Results: 5-3W at EMB | The Hawks did blow a 3-0 lead against Embrun but scored twice to get their third straight victory. Johnson had three assists while Pare collect two goals. They are 10-7-3 on the road and have four wins at home. They’ll start a three game home stand starting February 6th.
13. Athens Aeros (13-17-5) | Last week: 14 | Results: 2-1W vs PER | Emerson Hunt was the hero making 36 saves on 37 shots in his second win in CCHL2. McKenney and Berry collected the only goals in the win. They’ve now won two consecutive games.
14. Arnprior Packers (16-17-5) | Last week: 13 | Results: 6-5OTL vs PER, 4-1L at CPB | The Packers can’t seem to win close hockey games. Give credit for them coming back against Perth but only put one goal against Carleton Place. Brayden Jorssen collected two goals and three points against Perth.
15. Embrun Panthers (12-21-6) | Last week: 15 | Results: 5-3L vs WIN | The Panthers did comeback down 3-0 but had a tough final 10 minutes against the Hawks. Brandon Paquette collects a two-goal game. It doesn’t get easy towards the end of the season. They have Ottawa West, Alexandria, Ottawa Canadians, Casselman and Whitewater.
16. Richmond Royals (10-27-1) | Last Week: 16 | Results: 7-2L at WPR, 3-2W vs ALX | The Royals were able to snap their five game losing with Ethan Vaslet scoring the GWG with 20 seconds left in Regulation. They are the last team this season ti hit double digit wins.